These are the locations in and related to Xanth that have been introduced. Not all locations are listed, but new locations will be added over time as they are found.
Locations in Xanth
This area of Xanth is north of the Gap Chasm.
- The Black Village was settled by the Black Wave in Currant Events. It is east of Isthmus Village on the Isthmus.
- The Isthmus Village is the western-most village on the Isthmus.
- The Library Forrest is near Mount Etamin and is filled with library puns. It was visited in Xone of Contention.
- The North Village is near the west coast of Xanth between the With a Cookie and the Fish Rivers. It was first seen in A Spell for Chameleon.
- Ogre-fen-Ogre Fen is one of the northern-most areas in Xanth, above the Forbidden Regions. It is inhabited by ogres who migrated from Lake Ogre.
- Fish River
- The Sane Jaunts River is north of the Gap Chasm and west of Ogre-Fen-Ogre Fen and the Regions of Birds, Griffons, Goblins, and Elves. The outlet is on the north-east coast of Xanth.
- Swan Knee River
- With a Cookie River
There are six regions dedicated to some species of monsters in Xanth. These are listed from north to south from Ogre-fen-Ogre Fen. To the west are the Forbidden Regions. The Sane Jaunts River is to the east of the Regions of Birds, Griffons, Goblins, and Elves. The Regions of Flies and Dragons wrap around the Region of Air. They are all north of the Gap Chasm.
- The Region of Birds, also called Birdland, borders the Void to the west.
- The Region of Griffons borders the Region of Water to the west.
The Region of Goblins borders the Region of Fire to the west.
- Goblin Mountain is where the Goblin Mountain tribe of goblins live.
- The Region of Elves borders the Region of Earth to the west. The Flower Elf tribe is in this region.
The Region of Dragons borders the Region of Air to the north-west and the Region of Flies to the west. The Gap Village is to the south-west.
- Mount Etamin is home to Draco and naga ruled by Nabob.
- The Region of Flies borders the Region of Air to the north-east and the Region of Dragons to the east. The Gap Village is to the south-east.
The Forbidden Regions
The five Forbidden Regions are in center of nothern Xanth, south of Ogre-fen-Ogre Fen. They were created in the battle between Hydrogen and Loudspeaker in 408. They were introduced in Ogre, Ogre.
These are listed from north to south.
- The Void borders the Region of Birds to the east. It is a place that no one escapes from unless one has strong magic to counter the effects of the region. There is a large hole in the center that sucks everything into it.
- The Region of Water, also called the Water Wing, borders the Region of Griffons to the east. It has a Lethe Spring in it. You can stay at the Sleep Inn.
- The Region of Fire borders the Region of Goblins to the east.
- The Region of Earth borders the Region of Elves to the east.
- The Region of Air borders Region of Flies to the south-west and the Region of Dragons to the south-east.
The Gap Chasm
The Gap Chasm separates Xanth almost in the middle. It is about one mile deep and between three to ten miles across. It was called Orc Chasm at one time, however no one wanted to admit they were in Orc Chasm. In 236, Magician Dor detonated a forget spell on the Gap. It stayed in place until 1043, when it broke up during the Time of No Magic. Is it guarded by the Gap Dragon. It was first traveled in A Spell for Chameleon.
- The Gap Village is on the northern side of the Gap Chasm and first seen in A Spell for Chameleon.
- The Mai-Den Industrial Park was built by the Maidens Taiwan, China, Japan, and Mexico by order of King Ebnez.
- Menace Mesa is an anomalous mountain in the Gap Chasm and is home to the Noway Naga. It was visited in Luck of the Draw.
This area of Xanth is south of the Gap Chasm.
- The Faun and Nymph Retreat is south of Mount Parnassus and north of the Ever Glades. It is a home of fauns and nymphs who celebrate every day but forget about what happened yesterday.
- The Magic Dust Village is near the Source of Magic. The residents are responsible for distributing the dust from the Source across Xanth. It was first seen in The Source of Magic.
- Scoop is surrounded by toilet trees, the result of a tangle tree and call-of-nature bush at a love spring. A few villagers want to escape. It was first seen in Knot Gneiss.
- The South Village is south of the Good Magician's Castle and west of Castle Zombie.
- Tri City is a city where triplets live, introduced in Yon Ill Wind.
- Twin City is a city where twins live It is separated into two sections, one section for female twins and one section for male twins. It has a small area in between for fraternal male and female twins. It was introduced in Yon Ill Wind.
- The Western Stockade
- Castle Roogna is named after it's builder, King Roogna. It fell into disuse for a long while after King Yang abandoned it. It was a sometime home of Rose of Roogna and the Muses. King Trent restored it and ruled from here, and it is the seat of power of human Xanth once again.
- Castle Rockbound is Castle Roogna in Xanth Reality 6 in Stork Naked.
- Castle Zombie is the second Castle Zombie and the current location where the zombies are gathered, except those guarding Castle Roogna and those who went to Zombie. It is currently occupied by Justin and Breanna.
- Castle Windswept is the former residence of Aeolus, the Storm King, and is now inhabited by Princess Eve and Dwarf Demon Pluto in Knot Gneiss. It has a portal to Hades in it.
- Gateway Castle is at the bottom of Lake Ogre-Chobee and is accessable through the Vortex. It is home to the Curse Fiends.
- Good Magician's Castle was once the site of Jonathan's first Castle Zombie. Humfrey found the site and built his castle here.
- Iron Mountain is a mountain made entirely of iron. It has iron steps and guard rail going up the side. It is north of Lake Wails, west of the Kiss-Me River, and east of Mountain Lake. It is near the Singing Tower. The Robot Wave tried to use it to build up its presense in Xanth. It was introduced in Pet Peeve.
Mount Parnassus has two peaks. It is south of Mount Rushmost and Lake Ogre-Chobee and north of the Faun and Nymph Retreat. It has two peaks. One is the home of the Simurgh, who perches in the Tree of Seeds; and the other is the home of the Muses.
- The Garden of Events is on the peak of the mountain that is the home of the Muses. It is maintained by Emell.
- Mount Rushmost is in the south of Xanth, north of Mount Parnassus.
- Centaur Isle is off the southern coast of Xanth. It is home of the centaurs, who are extremely conservitive.
- Isles of Joey are off the east coast of Xanth.
Lakes and Rivers
- Lake Kiss-Mee is south of the Gap Chasm. The Kiss-Me River runs from the Kiss-Me to Lake Orge-Chobee.
- The Kiss-Me River runs from Lake Kiss-Me to Lake Ogre-Chobee. The Magic Dust Village is on it west bank near Lake Orge-Chobee.
- Lake Ogre-Chobee is where the curse fiends live in an underwater castle that can only be accessed through the vortex. It was once Lake Orge until the curse fiends drove them out. It is inhabited by chobees who are, most likely, the decsendants of the Talent Research Group who were transformed into chobees by Loudspeaker. There is a small community that lives on the shore. The Kiss-Me River runs from Lake Kiss-Me to Ogre-Chobee. The Magic Dust Village is to the north-west.
- Lake Wails is near the east coast of Xanth, south of the Gap Chasm, south-east from Lake Kiss-Me, and north-east of Lake Ogre-Chobee. It is inside an old, dormant volcano.
- Mountain Lake is west of Iron Mountain.
Gold Coast, Silver Coast, and Copper Coast are on the south-east coast of Xanth.
The Region of Madness is north of the Magic Dust Village. Everything is exagerated within this region, and nothing makes sense.
- Unwelcome is a village where no one is is welcome to visit.
These communities are currently in an unknown location in Xanth.
- Burnsville was mentioned in Esrever Doom.
- Camp Pain was mentioned in Pet Peeve.
- Imp Perial is a community of imps.
- The PLO Village was visited in Board Stiff. PLO stands for Pun Liberation Organization, the villagers are against all puns.
- Pieria Village was mentioned in Pet Peeve.
- Punic Curse was visited in Board Stiff. It was destroyed by the pun virus.
- Tent City is a city of just tents, no one lives there. The abilities of anyone are enhanced while in Tent City.
- The Terns are East Tern and West Tern, and they are connected by the Tern Pike in Isis Orb.
- Adver City, Elasti City, Necess City, and Pompos City were first seen or mentioned in Two to the Fifth.
- Castle Maidragon was created by Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm and occupied by Becka and her family. It was once the prison of Random Factor.
- Castle Rock Candy is the base of operations of Ragna Roc in Two to the Fifth. Most of the rock candy melted during the battle between Ragna and Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm. Ragna is now imprisoned there.
- Caprice Castle is a capricious building in Two to the Fifth It moves to areas where the anti-pun virus is threatening. The people who inhabit it destroy the virus and repopulate the puns. Picka Bone is the current master of the castle in the main Xanth reality. Drew is the master in Xanth Reality 3. It was built by Dwarf Demon Pundit.
- Nameless Castle is where Roxanne incubated Simurgh's egg. It is now the home of Xanth and Chlorine.
- Mount Impossible is impossible to climb unless you know how. It was visited in Jest Right.
- Mount Neverrest was visited in Jest Right.
- Mount Pinatuba is an angry volcano.
- Isle of Miss was visited in Board Stiff.
- Key Board Island
- Unicorn Island
- The Cloud is where old programs go. It was visited in Board Stiff.
- The Punderground was visited in Stork Naked. Children are lured there so their souls can be leached away. It is run by the Hobgoblin of Little Minds.
- The Stork Works is the origin of Xanthian babies. All buildings have soft edges so as not to hurt the babies. The Stork Works is connected to all Xanth Realities, so it is located in all realities. It was visited in Stork Naked.
Fading Out Islands
The Fading Out Islands, at times called the Sometimes Islands, are off the west coast of Xanth. There is an island for everything, and here are some that have been visited or mentioned.
- Isle of Adamant was mentioned in Knot Gneiss.
- Isle of Bats
- Isle of Birds
- Isle of Blobs
- Isles of Bo, mentioned in Zombie Lover, includes the Isle of Bovines.
- Isle of Cats
- Isle of Cats & Dogs
- Isle of Chocolate, visited in Jest Right.
- Isles of Co, mentioned in Zombie Lover, includes the Isle of Conclusion.
- Isles of Do were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- Isles of Eo were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- The Isle of Fellowship is an island where the partners of all of the couples are of different species. The Dastard undid the community and the families there.
- The Isle of Flies is the home of many types of flies. It was seen in Board Stiff.
- Isles of Fo were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- Isles of Go were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- Isle of Man
- Isle of Missed
- Isles of Wa were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- Isles of We were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
- Isles of Wi were mentioned in Zombie Lover.
Isles of Wo, mentioned in Zombie Lover, include the Isle of Woe, the Isle of Wombats, the Isle of Wonder, the Isle of Wood, the Isle of Wool, the Isle of Words, the Isle of Work, the Isle of Worse, and Isle of Worth.
- The Isle of Wolves is populated by wolves of all sorts. The king of the Isle lives in Wolverton Mountain. It was visited in Zombie Lover.
- The Isle of Women is populated entirely by women who want to marry princes. It was visited in Zombie Lover.
The Gourd is the realm of the Night Stallion and night mares. All areas of the Gourd are subject to change or disappear. It is accessed from Xanth by looking into the peepholes of hypnogourds.
- The City of Brass is where the brassys live, first visited in Ogre, Ogre.
- The Lost Path
- The Gourd Terminal
- The Realm of Lost Objects
Counter-Xanth is an alternate Xanth of Counter-terrene matter and accessed through the Cube Route. It reverses names, talents, and more. Some reversals can be cumulative. There are no puns here and many specialized areas. It was introduced in Cube Route. People began colonizing it in Currant Events.
Playground and Storage
The Playground was built by Dwarf Demon Gambol. It is free for children to use. Its Storage is overrun with what Gambol calles vermin. It was introduced in Five Portraits.
Ida's Moons were first introduced in Yon Ill Wind. There is a version of Ida on each moon with the next moon in the sequence. It was discovered the moons are not an endless line, but a loop of infinate worlds, ending with a Xanth moon.
The first moons
Ptero through Torus were explored in Faun and Games. Cone through Motes were introduced in Zombie Lover. Trapezoid through Fractal were introduced in Up in a Heaval.
Ptero is a tiny moon the size of a ping pong ball which orbits Princess Ida's head. All the characters who ever existed, will exist, or might exist in Xanth live here. Travelling east or From, to the green, makes one younger. Travelling west or To, to the yellow, makes one older. Travelling north, to the blue, it gets colder. Travelling south, to the red, it gets warmer. It was named by Karen Baldwin.
- Comic Strips are areas on Ptero that are filled with puns. To get from place to place on Ptero, one must sometimes cross them.
- Prince Town is a city filled with unemployed princes being educated. It was visited in Zombie Lover.
- Princess Town is another city on Ptero, probably similar to Prince Town.
- Pyramid is a four sided pyramid where each triangular face is a different color blue, red, green, and gray. The side a person lands on orients them to the world. One would need to be reoriented when going over the edge between sides. Generosity is power here.
- Torus is shaped like a doughnut. One who does a service for another comes to like that person or even love them. If you arrange to exchange favors, they cancel out.
Cone is a world of crossbreeds. People live on both the inside and outside of the cone. The inside is filled with water and people can breathe in it. All breeding must be done at the rim. Ida lives at the inside point of the cone and is also a crossbreed with the body of a human and the head of a horse.
- Nametag Castle is the castle of the nametaggers in Air Apparent.
- Dumbbell is where magic is related to physical strength.
- Pincushion is where all inhabitants live on the pins. Travel here is faster using a flew, which is a bug which makes you sneeze and fly for two minutes.
- Spiral looks like a galaxy.
- Tangle looks like knots of spaghetti.
- Motes is a swarm of small fragments, each big enough to hold a small village. It has a Mote Monster who particularly has a taste for new visitors.
- Shoe has every old woman and many children, so no one knew what to do.
- Tesseract is a 4-dimensional hyper cube. 81 cubes, all the same size, all in one box, which are unlocked by square dancing.
- Fractal is one or two myriads of threads leading to other worlds.
The moons in between
The order of the following moons is known.
- Nickelpede is shaped like and inhabited by nickelpedes. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Spider is shaped like and inhabited by spiders. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Stench is a world that stinks and is mostly stink horns. There is one spot where brown roses grow that filter out the smells. It was introduced in Jest Right.
- Distaff is a world ruled by women. One kingdon is named Greenia. Princess Aria became the Queen of Grennia but appointed Thirza as regent. It was introduced in Jest Right.
- Coral a world of coral, including a Brain Coral pool. It was introduced in Jest Right.
- Ant is shaped like and inhabited by ants. It was introduced in Air Apparent. In Jest Right it switched places with Bird, and Adam Ant is introduced as the first ant to colonize this world with his queen.
- Bird is shaped like and mostly inhabited by birds. It was introduced in Air Apparent. In Jest Right it switched places with Ant.
- Blue Moon is a blue world where the people sing the blues, talk a blue streak, and picnic on blue grass eating blue cheese. It was introduced in Jest Right.
- The World of Three Moons has a plaid sky and white, black, and red moons. The white moon moves from east to west. The black moon moves from north to south. The red moon moves from northeast to southwest. It was introduced in Fire Sail. A tunnel was built from here to Xanth proper in Jest Right.
- Centaur is shaped like and mostly inhabited by centaurs. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Cloud is shaped like and mostly inhabited by clouds. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Factory is run by The Factory where Random Factor and Debra originated. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
Heaven and Hell are companion worlds. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Heaven is as Heaven is described to be.
- Hell is as Hell is described to be.
- Tree is shaped like and inhabited by all kinds of trees. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
- Gourd is a dream world. It was introduced in Air Apparent.
These moons positions is unknown with the above.
- Zombie is the new home of the zombies, who are dreaming. Jonathan, the Zombie Master, and Millie have a castle there similar to Castle Zombie after they retired. This moon was introduced in Up in a Heaval, seen again in Cube Route and Currant Events, and mentioned in Air Apparent.
The following moons were visited in Currant Events and mentioned in Air Apparent:
- Dragon is shaped like a dragon and home to 3,125 different types of dragons. The dragons like contests to determine whether they will make deals, especially pun contests. Ida, of course, is also a dragon. It was mentioned in Pet Peeve also.
- Green Goo is a planet sized blob. It is somewhere before Plane.
- Plane is endlessly wide but shallow, like a pane of glass. Beneath each person shows their polar opposite. It is somewhere after Green Goo. It is the home of Demon Lithosphere.
- Robot is a world completely inhabited by robots. It was introduced in Pet Peeve when the robots tried to invade Xanth.
- Always-Always is a big amusement park and introduced in Stork Naked.
The following moons were introduced in Knot Gneiss.
- Comic is a world of Comic Strips with blue fields, yellow trees, and red streams.
- Reverse or Reverse World is made entirely of reverse wood or its equivalent. It is shaped like a giant reverse-wood tree. Nothing is what it seems. All creatures look, sound, and feel like their opposite. It has five areas where things are changed: the bark changes appearance; the branches change direction; the leaves change sound; the roots change gender; and the wood changes situations.
- Demo Derby is a world devoted to demolition derbies. It was introduced in Esrever Doom.
- Antidote has seas filled with anti-pun antidote and was mentioned in Board Stiff.
The last moons
These moons were introduced in Air Apparent and are listed in order of introduction.
- Obelisk is a world where the main function of the inhabitants is creating monuments. It is the fourth to the last moon in the chain of moons.
- Earth is ruled by the Demoness Gaia and directly after Obelisk. It is the third to the last moon in the chain of moons.
- Moondania is the real name of Mundania and directly after Earth. It is the second to the last moon in the chain of moons.
- Xanth was created by Ilene from illusion for the Ida on Moondania. It is the last moon in the chain of moons and is also Xanth proper.
- Mundania is the ordinary world which can access Xanth only through interfaces, such as the OuterNet. It is also called Moondania.
- Hades is the realm of Dwarf Demon Pluto that can be accessed from Castle Windswept.
- The are several alternate realities of Xanth. Seven were visited in Stork Naked, and two were visited in Ghost Writer in the Sky.
From other series
- Proton is the non-magical world from The Apprentice Adept series. It was connected to Xanth when Stile was mentioned by Humfrey in Question Quest.
- Phaze is the magical world from The Apprentice Adept series. It was connected to Xanth when several characters visited it in Cube Route.
- Rud is a kingdom in the Kelvin of Rud series.
- Two Moons is the world from the ElfQuest series by Richard and Wendy Pini. It was connected to Xanth when Jenny came through a rift in Isle of View.